Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Running Around the World

From pot-hole filled dirt roads in 85 degree humidity to the icy roads in freezing cold WI to the happy medium of Hong Kong, I've really taken a liking to running lately. I signed up to run a 10K here in HK in February, so that's been motivating me to work toward that goal, and in the meantime I've really started to actually enjoy running...what a concept!

For many months I woke up to the sun shining in through my windows, and quickly laced up and journeyed out on the roads in Ghana. I really enjoyed this time every morning, as I was able to listen to a sermon and get to see Ghana "wake up". I really feel like I was able to observe the culture so much by getting out every morning and even make some friends, since everyone I passed was so friendly!

When I went home for Christmas, there was a slight scenery change as I ran on a nice, new, fancy treadmill with a built-in TV...a little bit of culture shock? Yeah, just a tad. While I loved the machine for keeping track of all the statistics, I'd much prefer the Ghanaian scenery-- ladies walking to market with their produce, cute children playing before school or walking to school, people joining me in running, etc.-- over watching HGTV anyday!

I did bundle up a couple of days and brave the WI winter weather by running outside. The first day was only 39 degrees so it was a bit chilly at first, but I warmed up rather quickly. It was so beautiful to run past the snow-covered fields as the sun set and made the snow glisten...wish I would've had my camera-- which is STILL in London (side note)! Grrrr....

And now I'm in Hong Kong, and I went for my first outside run tonight and it was amazing. I run alongside this river, which I'll admit, isn't that pretty in the daytime, but is gorgeous at night. The Christmas lights and lights from the tall high-rises lining both sides of the path reflect off the water, and it's just so pretty and peaceful. Not to mention the nostalgia that goes along with it since the hotel I stayed at the first two weeks I was here in 2007 is along that route, and it brings back many good memories.

So, there you have it. That's how I've ran around the world in 3 weeks! Man, I'm fast! ;)

I'm so thankful for all these experiences and for a healthy, able body to be able to run! Praise God!

3 comments:

The Paine Family said...

Way to go Dana!! You are awesome. I seriously lost some momentum over Christmas and am trying to pick it up now. We should run together when I am back next week. Jason told me it was good to see you. I've got a big hug coming your way!!!

Emily Thompson said...

I can't wait to shake this cough so I can actually breathe to run again!

Lauren Johnston said...

It's so exciting to read about your new adventue! I can't wait to hear more!