Sunday, February 20, 2011

Google Earth

I'm amazed at how often thoughts of Ghana and the kids there fill my thoughts (and even dreams, which is pretty fun!). There's not a day that goes by (dare I say not many (waking) hours)) that I don't think of them. I find myself so often having "Africa moments" where something that was so ingrained in me from being in Africa is brought to my mind. For example, it happens almost every time I set my computer down on my bed before leaving the house. I always have this thought of, "Oh, is it far enough away from the window?" In Ghana I always had to be careful where I set it because the rain or dust would often come through our windows which didn't fully shut, and I can now remind myself that that's not really an issue here. :) I'm constantly marveling at how clean my feet are! Those are just two examples, but there are so many more examples that "bring me back" and make me realize what a different world I'm in right now. I miss the kids so much and sometimes looking at pictures of them since I've been gone just hurts to not be able to be there. I've never wanted so badly to be in 3 places at once.

All that to say, last night I discovered something incredible (yes, I know I'm WAAY behind the times on this one, but c'mon...give me a break. I was in Africa!)...Google Earth! It was amazing!!! I was able to see my parents' house in WI and my general area of apartments here in HK, but the one that shocked me is that I was able to see Haven of Hope and Akotoshie #2!!! It was incredible. I couldn't believe it, but I had a fun little moment as I tried to see if I could figure out where some of my students and friends live in the village. That is soooo cool...and a little freaky at the same time! :)

No comments: