Sunday, February 6, 2011

Kung Hei Fat Choi!


That's "Happy New Year" to you! We've had the last week off of school for Chinese New Year and this was the first time I stuck around for it. I'm so glad I did! It was definitely full and flew by way too fast, but I also got some much needed relaxation in. :) Sticking around was neat to be able to see some of the traditions that are carried out during this holiday. Since many of them are connected to superstitions, I obviously don't believe these things, but it's interesting to learn about, nonetheless. :)

On the last Friday before school let out, we celebrate "Cultural Day" at school. Everyone's encouraged to wear cultural dress and then the afternoon is filled with an assembly where different students performed cultural dances, songs, skits, etc. Then, this year the theme was international games, so the students rotated and played games from places all around the world. Here I am in my Ghanaian garb with Ann, my student in her Japanese attire. The papers are red couplets that I "painted". These are blessings and are traditionally hung as decorations beside doors or entrances.
The rive that I run by at night is decorated for the holiday. :)
I'd like to say the mall is crowded b/c of the holiday, but unfortunately it's always like this!
A traditional Lion Dance...This was pretty cool...there are two men under the costume and they must have had a lot of training and or practice to perform the little dance they did as they jumped around on those stands.
The tradition that my students get must excited about is the receiving of "Lai See" packets (shown below). They are given out by adults to children, bosses to workers, married friends to single friends, etc. So, the students always get excited about raking in the cash! :) Here's one I got at the lion dance... however, instead of money, we got a chocolate coin...ooo la la!

Tangerines are a sign of good fortune and oranges of wealth, so you see these pretty lookin' plants all over town.

All in all, it was a great holiday and I think my body will go into shock tomorrow morning when I try to wake up at 6 am! :)

2 comments:

The Paine Family said...

Did you run with your camera to get a shot of the bridge? Pretty!

Dana said...

The night before we ran together, Mary and I walked out there together on the way home from Maria and Noah's. I know...I'm gonna miss those lights! :)