Sunday, November 30, 2008

Odds and Ends

This is going to be a quick post, because it's getting late and I need to go to bed. :) It's been a pretty good week. We had no students Wednesday-Friday, but held a conference at our school for Christian school educators. We had around 900 educators at our school! Gary Chapman-author of "The 5 Love Languages" spoke multiple times throughout the conference, which was really good. Then there were lots of good workshops to attend as well. All that to say, tomorrow the kids come back! Should be good...it's hard to believe we only have 3 weeks of school left before Christmas!

Today after church I decided to get some dumplings at a little Chinese restaurant Jen and I found last week. After that, I finally hit the ice...as I've been longing to do for so long now! :) However, I didn't have my skates so I had to use some nice chunky plastic, dull-bladed ones...not quite the same...but fun nonetheless. :) After that I came home and took a nice Sunday afternoon nap and then went to Maria's where we hung out with some of her students that she taught English to and decorated for Christmas...good times! Oh, how I love Christmas!!!

Well, to end this blog, here are 3 indicators that "I'm not in Kansas anymore"!!!

1. I was approached by a monk for money this week while walking back to the train station after shopping at one of the markets.
2. One of Maria's students that I hung out with tonight was named "Fish"..."Dragon" couldn't come! :)
3. Unfortunately I've dropped my cell phone multiple times lately. Today I dropped it and my natural reaction was to say, "Aiya!" (It's similar to "Oh no!" or "Ugh...", but I swore I would never say it because it drove me nuts.) It's gradually working it's way into my vocabulary.

That's it for today! Thanks for reading. Blessings on your day! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha- I like the part about saying "aiya!" I'm impressed it took you this long to start saying it. I find myself talking like the refugees all the time (our Turkish friends and the new ones I work with at World Relief). Even if I am just with someone for a couple of hours I start talking like them, and Casey has to remind me that he speaks English! :) I love you, D!

Dana said...

haha...that's funny. I know...it's amazing how it wears off on you. Thanks for reading my blog,
Erin! :)