Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Steps Away, Worlds Apart

One of the things that still fascinates me about Hong Kong is the whole idea of East meets West. Hong Kong is such a unique place, as the financial world meets local Chinese culture. I just got back from the post office tonight, which is about a ten minute walk from my apartment. It's located on the second floor of an old mall in a government housing complex. The park is often filled with elderly people sitting on benches either by themselves or with friends and talking. I always feel a little bit like a bird in a cage when I walk through there. I can feel their eyes and almost read their thoughts as they wonder what this "Western girl" is doing there.

It's so crazy that just a few steps away from my home lies such a different culture. One stop away is a huge, fancy mall, where just about the only thing you can buy there is make-up or jewelry...if you can afford it. I think I prefer the local (though a bit dirty) mall, filled with welcoming faces, and rich with culture. There's something kind of cool about going into the bakery and not having English translations under the Chinese labels. It makes me feel like I really am in Asia and not just China-town! :)

Those are my thoughts for the night!

No comments: