Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Transition

It's hard to believe I only have 5 weeks left in Hong Kong! Time is flying by...the "must-do" list is made (both things I have to do and things I want to do...there is a difference!). I've been busy running all over figuring out everything from taxes to retirement funds to immunizations! While doing all of this, I've had to focus and remind myself to live in the present...to enjoy the last moments with friends, co-workers, and students. I'm so incredibly blessed to be here, and there are many things I'm going to miss, so I must take advantage of them now while I can!

With all these emotions and thoughts and tasks occupying my brain space, I've had many early mornings...lying in bed wide awake at 4 am...wondering what next year will bring, what plans God has for my time in Africa, how my relationships in HK will fare once I'm gone...will I return? Will I keep in contact with my students? So, this has it's obvious disadvantages...namely, feeling like an old lady who's ready for bed at 7 pm! However, it also has it's advantages. There's something beautiful about mornings that I rarely get to experience as I wake up to an annoying beeping noise, spring out of bed, and jolt into my day and quickly work my way into fast forward mode. The morning holds so much potential....a day full of opportunities. I laid in bed this morning praying, listening to the birds outside, and just reflecting on my time here in HK and the way that God has prepared me for what's next. Everything's always more clear in retrospect.

Additionally, I don't know if this could be considered an advantage or not, but I tend to get really giggly when I'm overtired. For better or worse, a moment like this came in Bible class today, where I just started laughing for absolutely NO reason at all! I couldn't stop. I was telling the kids to turn in their projects and giving them instructions on how to do so, and it was broken up by outbursts of giggling...to the point where I was crying! Of course, the kids got a kick out of this, too, and it was good, because they can handle it and still compose themselves afterwards. It was a fun(ny) moment! :)

Oh, it's great to be alive! Thank you, God, for today...whether tired or awake, stressed or calm, happy or sad, each day holds so many things to be celebrated.

No comments: