Monday, March 8, 2010

Now that's a new one...

As I've mentioned before, I've been getting pretty use to my new African lifestyle. Electricity for just a couple of hours at night is manageable. Having a cooler for a refrigerator and buying ice every few days has become pretty normal...as has dealing with the disappointment of water-logged food! :( However, this afternoon something happened that was not normal and I hope I will never become accustomed to it!
I opened my cooler and was getting ready to put some water bags in it, when I noticed my hand brushed something blackish on the cooler. I dismissed it at first, as I thought it was just a piece of plastic from the black plastic bags that I had some of the food in. Well, on second glance, I realized that was not the case. What was staring back at me was not a piece of plastic, but an itsy bitsy tiny lizard that had scurried its way between my cooler and the lid the last time I had closed it. It's tail was bleeding and it was not moving...ick ick ick! Needless to say, after immediately washing my hands with soap and water, I had to call in the troops (aka the 10 and 11 year old boys!) to take care of this for me. :)

4 comments:

Emily Thompson said...

EWWWW! Nice :o)

Unknown said...

Hahaha! The boys got a big lizard in their hall last week. The biggest guy in the dorm (he's a sophomore) was jumping all over the place because he's scared of them. I was laughing! Plus, Dana, he's African.

Leah said...

This reminds me of the lovely friend you met while showering in the Dominican Republic. haha!! You and lizards have a history.

By the way...the would have totally grossed me out! Hopefully all your food was safe from the blood?

Dana said...

I assume so b/c I'm going to eat it! haha....yeah, me and lizards, we go waaay back...ugh, i still tell the story about the one in the DR!