Friday, March 19, 2010

Walking with God...

Sounds easy...walking with God. I've realized, though, that I am such a "do-er". Give me a to-do list anyday. I get a thrill checking things off my list. In fact, don't tell anyone, but sometimes I add things to the list after they're already completed-- just so I have another thing to cross off. It makes me feel accomplished...and I like accomplishing things.

This morning my devotion focused on Enoch, a man who was commended in the "Hall of Faith" in Hebrews 11 as one who pleased God (Hebrews 11:5). However, as you look into his life, not much of it is mentioned in the Bible. There are a few verses in Genesis 5 about him, but all it really tells us is that he was a man who "walked with God". I've been thinking today how often I am tempted to do things for God. It seems easier than walking with Him...allowing Him to guide me each step of the way. I've been thinking today that what God really wants from me is not a bunch of "good works", but He wants my heart, my time, my energy. How often do I run around like crazy trying to accomplish things (for His glory, even), when what He really desires is for me to find that quiet time to be with Him, to lavish His love on me, and to teach me to be more like Him.

This is a hard balance in a world that is so focused on doing. However, this message is especially meaningful for me right now, as there are so many needs surrounding me here in Ghana-- so many ways to reach out. At times it's discouraging, because I can never really do enough. At times the thought of "Where to start?" is paralyzing. There will still always be hunger, physical ailments, and emotional and spiritual brokenness. I'm not trying to shrug off our responsibility as Christians to care for people, I'm just encouraged by the fact that if we walk with God, HE will make clear to us who to help, teach, pray for, and minister to. We don't do it alone.

On a separate note, I'm contemplating and praying about what's next. Pray with me that among the fifteen things I'd love to do with my life (starting this summer), I would keep my eyes focused on what God has for me and trust Him to provide along the way. It's hard to think about job applications, interviews, paperwork, etc. from half-way across the world, but I'm confident that He will provide whatever's needed. I just need to "walk with Him"...not ahead or behind, but right beside.