Friday, October 10, 2008

6th Grade Party Time!


I sit at my computer tonight and I can't help but beam with joy. Just two hours ago my apartment was filled with extremely energetic sixth graders. I had my FaceGroup (homeroom) over tonight for pizza and games, and it definitely brought me back...

It doesn't seem that long ago that I myself was in their shoes. So I try to remember what it was like in the days we'd go to Tony's Pizza after the big 6th grade rollerskating excursions & fill that place with energy & excitement. I distinctly remember 2 highlights: the couple's skate at the roller rink :) & shaking large amounts of salt and pepper into the extra sauce at Tony's to make very interesting and inedible concoctions.

The reason I say all this is because I need to bring myself back to these days daily as I work with these students. It all happens quite naturally, because when you hang out with 6th graders you quickly find out they're some of the most fun, energetic, moldable...and crazy people you'll ever encounter...and I love them! The energy is contagious....I can't help but smile when I'm with them.

As I mentioned earlier, it seems like just yesterday I was having crazy sleepovers and being the goofy middle schooler that I was. Therefore, it's not too difficult to relate to them on a "fun level". However, sometimes I struggle with how I can be a spiritual leader to them outside of class, because their shells seem hard to break at times. It takes a lot for them to open up. But when I think back to when I was their age I was most shaped by the everyday attitudes & actions of the people around me. It is the love, patience, joy, peace, and calmness that is only found in Jesus Christ that I try to embody each day, hoping they will see that life is truly good when it's lived as a surrender to Christ daily.

Again...I think back to a few hours earlier...my apartment was filled with students who (on their own initiative) wanted to make up a talent show. They had 7 minutes to prepare their acts, and "Wow"...haha....there was a lot of randomness, but it was beautiful. The innocence of children is beautiful, and at times I'm reminded to go back and find joy in the little things. These kids teach me well! :)


No comments: