Saturday, October 11, 2008

An A+ Day!

Wow! Today was such a great day! I woke up around 7:45 without an alarm...amazing! I was back in bed for a nap around 8:30! haha...

This morning I went on a hike with some friends. We hiked Lion Rock, which is a pretty big mountain here in HK. The climb was pretty steep, but it never ceases to amaze me how quickly you can leave the hustle & bustle of the city filled with high rises, people, and noise and find peace and greenery! I always love hiking here. It's such a much needed retreat for me, and I just feel so at home in nature. It's so easy for me to sense the presence of God in nature.

Upon arriving at the top, we were presented with amazing views of sooo much of HK. I was blown away by how far we could see in every direction. It was fun to pick familar places out and be amazed at how small everything seemed from up so high.

After the hike we all went out to eat for a well-earned Thai meal, which a couple of us voted as the world's best food! :)

Then, I went home to find our land lady and a repairman at our apartment. We got new ceilings in our kitchen and bathroom, which was definitely a good surprise! After a long hike, it was definitely reading and nap time for me! What a great Saturday afternoon treat! :)

To top off an already great day I went to my friend Ashley's apartment for girl's night. We ordered pizza and just spent a lot of time talking. I knew about half of the girls there and the other 1/2 were new to me, so that was fun to meet some new people. Ashley got these conversations starters called "Table Topics" so we read some of those and had some really good discussions. It was just so refreshing to spend time laughing and having meaningful conversations...just what I needed to finish off my day!

Here were a couple of questions that I found very interesting:

1. Do you tend to live more in the past, present, or future?
I know this is an area God is still working with me on! For those of you who know me well, you know that I'm a huge reminiscer! I love to look back on past events and share "remember when?" moments. I don't think this is always bad, but at times I find myself longing for the past and not enjoying the moment. The amazing thing is that when I look back on my life, I'm amazed at home much I've enjoyed every single stage of my life. I think it's a testimony to God's faithfulness. He gives us certain things for certain seasons, and although it's sometimes hard to switch seasons, God knows what we need and He's so faithful to provide. I try to keep that in mind as I'm entering this new season of my life.

2. How do you think our culture will change in the next 100 years?
This seems like a very fitting question considering the times we're currently experiencing. With financial crisis right around the corner (or perhaps already here for many), wars waging in many parts of the world, and the widespread advance in technology, I'm very curious to see what the world will look like in 100 years.

It was so interesting to me to hear people's responses. We talked a lot about how social interactions will be largely affected due to advances in technology, and others shared that perhaps Jesus would come back within the next 100 years. Now of course we can't know that, and the Bible even says in Matthew 24 that He'll come at a time that we don't expect Him. (42"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.)

However, it really made me consider the fact that we should constantly be living our lives as if Jesus will return today. Do I live with a sense of urgency for spreading the gospel and making Jesus my #1 priority every day, or do I get caught up in my own busy agenda?

4But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. 5You are all sons of the light and sons of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. 6So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled. 7For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. 8But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. 9For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. 10He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. 11Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (1 Thessalonians 5:4-11)

Well, time for me to head to bed for the night!

No comments: