Sunday, March 15, 2009

Remember Me?

Wow! It's been awhile. I'm a pretty terrible blogger. I keep thinking I should write and then remember how long it's been since I last did it, and then that gives me all the more reason to NOT write...because I don't know where to start. So...I've decided I'll just start small. I won't attempt a life update right away, because well, that could take awhile! I'll save that for tomorrow! ;)
Leah, Karen, and I up at the Peak on a very clear night...thanks to the monsoon that blew all the clouds away!

Hiking in Sai Kung with Leah & Karen

I've had friends visiting from Alaska the last week and a half. Leah (a college friend and roommate) and her sister, Karen, came to Hong Kong! It was so great to have familar faces around and to have a full house. We've already gotten quite a bit of use out of our pull-out couch. :) We had a great time exploring the city, hiking around Cheung Chau island, making a late-night Peak run to see the amazing city view, going to a BBQ, hiking by the sea, eating lots of yummy ethnic food, taking the cable cars up to the big Buddha statue, frequenting the markets and just enjoying each other's company.

On top of all that, yesterday we had the opportunity to head up into C hina to visit an orphanage. Wow! I'm not often speechless, but the situation of these kids leaves me heavy hearted and at a loss for words. The orphanage is run by the government and takes care of about 250 kids. There is a group from HK that visits the kids and loves them every Saturday. What a neat ministry they have! We got to play with kids, rub backs, hold fingers, lead around blind children, let them feel water, feed them, etc....and had the joy of watching their faces light up with simple human touch that is not often received. In fact, we were told that many of the children with disabilities only are let out of their cribs on Saturdays when this group comes to visit... that breaks my heart.

The kids had fun playing with me through the plastic bubble!


It's experiences like this that leave me unsatisfied. I can't sit back. I must act. I must love. I received such an amazing picture of God's love yesterday. When the group first arrives, they usually gather the children with disabilities and sing songs with them-- the two favorites were "Old McDonald had a Farm" and "Puff the Magic Dragon". One of the volunteer men brings his guitar and leads this time. The kids cannot speak English, but let me tell ya, they know the words to these songs and boy do they sing!!! There were two little boys in particular who were literally belting out the words by literally screaming at the top of their lungs! There was another little boy who was trying to touch the guitar strings and later was nudging himself up against the guitarist. I kept wondering what the guy would do...thinking he would possibly help the boy to sit down or ask him not to distract him. Unfortunately, that probably reflects what I would do. However, instead, he moved his arm and drew this boy gently into himself and allowed the boy to rest between himself and the guitar as he continued to play. What an awesome picture of God's love and care for us. He just wants to be in relationship with us...He doesn't want us to wait until we're perfect and have it all together to come to Him...He wants to draw us in and hold us close right now.

Tears filled my eyes. Life is not fair. The stories of these children make my heart ache. I will never forget those kids, and my heart will continue to seek after justice. I'm praying for wisdom to know what to do and the love and courage to do it. There is hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dana,
This is the first time I've read your blogs. I am so blessed and excited about the heart God has given you for justice. He will use (and has used) that heart in amazing ways! I am also very jealous of your travels...please continue to write so that I can live vicariously through you! :-) I love you and miss you and will continue to pray!
Nessa Jo Huggy

Brent Neevel said...

Some of those pictures look vaguely familiar. Hmmm.