Monday, May 24, 2010

The Countdown...


Nope, I'm not sick! That's good news, but even better is the fact that 3 weeks from today I'll be leaving on a jetplane heading back to WI for the summer, and I can't wait! My (day)dreams are filled with grilling out, playing cards, bike riding, and playing tennis with my family, getting together with friends, rollerblading, swimming (if I'm not too cold!) playing ultimate frisbee, RELAXING, enjoying non-95 degree days (Although today Tawnee and I put my thermometer in the sun just out of curiosity...114 degrees!!!), electricity, and a refrigerator...and all that goes along with that one! :)
You may be wondering, "Why the picture of the malaria pills?" Well, I came with 2 of these big bottles full and another small bag, and they sort of became a visual countdown. I knew they'd be gone by the time I went home. Whenever I had visitors come, I counted out the number until they'd be there, and that was my smaller countdown. There were days (mostly in the beginning)where the container seemed like a bottomless pit, but now looking back I feel like the time went pretty fast. I thank God for getting me through the hard times and giving me encouragement through my visitors at just the right time. I've fallen in love with the kids and learned so much from them about what it means to truly serve.
When I think about my time here, these verses from Colossians 3:12-14 really seem to sum up what I've been learning to do here, "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, KINDNESS, humility, GENTLENESS, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues PUT ON LOVE, which binds them all together in perfect unity."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Dana, you put me to shame. I barely used 1/4 of my malaria pills and the bottle just sits on the shelf mocking me and my irresponsibility. But then, I've not yet had malaria so maybe I'm getting arrogant. :) Enjoy your last days before summer! How long will you be staying next year?

Emily Thompson said...

can't wait to see you in just a few weeks!