Sunday, November 8, 2009

2 Days in the Life...


It was a pretty laid back weekend here for me. I spent most of the day on Saturday around the home. We have a store open for the kids on Saturday mornings, as we’re trying to teach them the value of things and that they need to work if they want to buy things. Then, we made a quick trip to Nsawam with Brother Richard for him to mix the bread. I’ve included a picture of the bread mixing place, not to be confused with a “bakery”. The first time I went with him, we were talking and he said he wanted to show me where they mix the bread, so I said, “Oh, so it’s like a bakery?” “Yes, madam.” Ha! As you can see, this is not necessarily what I expected when I heard the word “bakery”! But the bread tastes good nonetheless. I just prefer not to think about where it came from!

After that I helped form the bread into rolls. Then, it was time for some basketball action with some of the boys, which was a lot of fun. It’s been way too long since we’ve done that. I was energized after that and went for a quick jog, and miracle of miracles…I think it was the first time I didn’t have kids trailing behind me. As much as I love them, it was kind of nice to have a peaceful job by myself.

Today was a momentous day in my “Ghana career”! I ventured into town by tro-tro (big van-like public transportation) by myself for the first time…and I survived! Everyone is very friendly and helpful when you ask for directions, so I did that a couple of times and was able to enjoy going to church, the pool, and then the mall for some internet time. It was a good day, and I must say…it feels good to feel like I’m starting to get my bearings.

2 comments:

Emily Thompson said...

Pool? Like a swimming pool? Is it at a hotel? Sounds like a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Dana said...

You got it! Yeah, it's pretty much a little piece of paradise...at the Shangri-La! :) I feel like I'm in a different world for a few hours!