Monday, November 9, 2009

Taxi Anyone?

Every once and awhile I get to play taxi driver if Daniel's out somewhere else. Today was one of those days. We take two groups of teachers and students either home or out to the main road to catch a ride home. It's not very far distance-wise...less than 2 miles each way. However, the pot-hole filled roads don't really lend themselves to high speeds! :) So, the whole endeavor takes about 50 minutes. I actually enjoy it, as it's kind of relaxing and forces me to get out for a bit...and the bonus today was that because the road is under major construction, there are lots of workers around, so there are actually people out selling things. Today there was a man selling FanIce, which is my new favorite treat...vanilla ice cream in a bag! Yum!!! You bite off the corner and then suck it up through the hole. :)

All of the students walking home from other schools get a kick out of the "oburoni" driving the van, and therefore, shout "Oburoni" followed by big smiles and laughter...but over the last few days, I've gotten away from the "oburoni" label and moved on to "white girl". It's pretty funny to actually be addressed as "white girl"...think people could get away with that in America?!?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dana, I'm so jealous that you can get FanIce in Ghana. We have to ask people to bring it up here, so when students come back from break they bring coolers of FanIce and Tampicos!!! I'm not a big fan of FanIce but I could live on Tampico's for the rest of my life!