Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Wonder Of It All

Tonight as I headed to the girls' dorm to read, I heard their Chris Tomlin music blaring from a mile away! I thought they probably wouldn't be too interested in any story that interrupted their music and dance time, but I was wrong. They quickly turned the music down and gathered around me as I found a spot on the floor. I started reading to them from a book with a bunch of Bible stories for kids. Tonight's was about Creation, and as I finished reading, the song "How God is Our God" by Chris Tomlin was playing in the background...coincidence? I think not. So, I asked them to share things that made them realize how amazing and great our God is. It was so neat to listen to them share. I was blessed by the wonder of children, as they were genuinely filled with awe over how the sun rotates around the earth, eyelashes, ears and hearing, how hair keeps on growing after you cut it, roots of plants, and many more.

It sooned turned to asking ME questions...rhetorical, I think...and hope...."Where does the sun go at night?", "How did God make our throats?", "Where does the moon stay?" As adults, I guess we learn to take these things for granted (or we learn the scientific explanations), when really, each one of these things is nothing short of a miracle. Of course there's a scientific reason for the fact that although the earth is sphere-shaped we don't fall off...it's called gravity. But, God designed gravity and it's pretty amazing. Sure...the earth rotates around the sun each day, causing day and night, but it still boggles my mind to think that as I type this e-mail at 9 o'clock at night, my HK friends are getting up for work (It's 5 a.m.) or people back home are finishing their work days (3 p.m.). I loved "wondering" and being in awe right along with the kids.

I hope I never lose the sense of wonder that is so obvious in children. I hope I never stop being amazed at the fact that God has created a universe that is so incredibly huge and diverse that it's impossible to wrap our minds around. He's created people who are so intricate and complex that only a Mastermind could design.

Psalm 19
1The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.
3 There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard.
4 Their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens he has pitched a tent for the sun,
5 which is like a bridegroom coming forth from his pavilion,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
6 It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is hidden from its heat. (Ain't that the truth!?!)

Then, my visit concluded with a little dance party and a group hug, which literally brought all of us into a pile on the floor. My first reaction was to be upset that they had got so rowdy that we all fell down, but upon "surveying the scene" and seeing that no one was hurt-- even the little 1st grader that I landed on top of-- I couldn't help but laugh. :)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Dana,
I was a short term missionary at Haven of Hope in the summer of 06, and I sponsor Moses. He was just a baby when we found him. I miss the kids and my heart aches to go back. For now, I have to live vicariously through you. God bless you and may His face shine upon you.