Monday, November 30, 2009

Pictures & Randomness

Here's some of the nursery kids during break time...I just can't get enough of them...as long as I don't have to teach them! :)

A couple of times a week a few men come in to teach the kids Ghanaian cultural dances and drumming. On Sunday they got to perform at a church nearby. I was really looking forward to going to a more rural church, but it definitely didn't turn out as expected. For one, it was a Catholic church, which really surprised me, because there aren't many of those in Ghana. Second, during the second part of the service they had an auction, which I didn't necessarily agree with. They sold everything from pictures to glass dishes to live goats and chickens (in baskets with vegetables). It was very bizarre! Kind of strange to hear a goat during church! The timing of the whole ordeal didn't seem very appropriate, but the kids did a great job, nonetheless. They made me proud! :)

And finally..."The ants go marching 2 (million) by 2 (million)...horrah...horrah...the ants go marching..." As I was walking to the dorms one night recently, I stopped dead in my tracks upon seeing this insane number of ants blocking my view. (The dark lines that look like tree roots are all ants!!!) I could've just stepped over them, but they somehow always seem to find a way onto my skin, and they're the nasty biting kind. And...if you read my previous post about my encounters with the lower forms of creation, you'll know that ants and I don't get along...at all! It was quite a crazy thing to see, though. We got out our RAID spray and had a hay day! :) Ants no more! We definitely didn't want those buggers in our apartments. Speaking of which...I'm proud of myself, as I opened my precious chunk of Velveeta cheese that's left, only to find ants had gotten inside the box and ZipLoc bag. Some were still crawling around, while others had died on the cheese. I decided the cheese was too valuable, cut them off, and away I went! Progress... :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if I would call that progress! Maybe desparate. Dana you are getting braver I think!! Love you. Mom

The Paine Family said...

Those kids are gorgeous! Can you bring me one back Dana?!

Jess said...

Gross! I can't believe you ate Velveeta, and with defunct ant on it, that had to have been an improvement. Additional flavor?