Sunday, November 15, 2009

Seeing God in Pink Chickens & Trash

Just about everyday here it seems like I hop on a rollercoaster, hang on tight, and get ready for the ups and the downs that the day will surely bring. There are moments where I cannot imagine being anywhere else, as I'm coming to really love these kids and I see glimpses of progress, and then there are moments where I cannot imagine being here until June. These conflicting moments are interspersed within the same day and it makes me feel like I'm going crazy! haha...but I'm pretty sure it's just getting use to a new culture and experiencing new values, communication systems, ways of doing things, etc. However, God is good, and in the moments where I feel homesick or frustrated, He always seems to send a situation or a person or word of encouragement my way. It's the little things that can turn my day around, and I thank God for those little things!




For example, one night this week I went for a jog, just to get out a few minutes before dark. It had been a long day and I was feeling rather lethargic, but after a self-pep talk, I decided to go, despite my desire not to. Once I get going, it always refreshes me and makes me feel more energetic. On my way back, I'm usually greeted by some of the village kids who go to school at Haven of Hope or their siblings. You just can't help but smile when you see little 3, 4, and 5-year old African children running towards you yelling either "Yevu" (another name for white person in Ewe- the local language) or "Miss Dana, Miss Dana...". It's automatic. Any frustrations seem to be wiped away by their joy and hugs! They're precious.


Well, sorry to make a short story long, but this particular night, I happened to walk back by one of the childrens' houses, and what did I see? Pink chickens! And I mean PINK! (Well, you can see for yourself!) I originally thought they did that to distinguish their chickens from their neighbors, but later found out they rub this dye on them to prevent the hawks from swooping down and snatching them! You learn something new every day!



Then, one of the boys in kindergarten tossed me a small bag of trash, and there began our new entertainment....I throw the bag of trash while all three siblings giggle and push and wrestle (in a friendly manner) to try to catch it. Wow...I can't tell you the last time I saw so much joy and excitement over a bag of trash. I'm telling ya...it's the little things. :) You just have to look.

Although I've heard and believed it before, since being here, I've really realized that "things" do not make you happy. I've met people who have nothing more than the clothes on their backs, but they are very full of joy from the Lord. I work with children every day who have very little, but are thankful to be getting a good education and a meal. Not once have I heard a student from the village complain about what was being served for lunch. I think sometimes the more we have, the less grateful we become. This seems natural, as Jesus says in Luke 12:15, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

This world is not our home. It's only temporary, so let's chase after things that will last for eternity...the things of God! "For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."

Here's the update on our "Water Bag Challenge": 3,504.






1 comment:

Becky said...

Who would've thought pink chicks would deter predators! Maybe they look like flowers from the air? I'm enjoying reading of your adventures. Maggie chose the Manila trip this year for WWW - they are there this week.